Procedures for Processing a Duplicate Title
To obtain a duplicate title you must complete an Application for Duplicate Title (MV213). The application needs to be completed with the following information:
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Make, Model, Year and Color of the vehicle
- Owner(s) name(s) and address
- Owner(s) signature(s)
- Driver License/ID number(s)
- License Plate Number (all prefixes like PC, C, CL, MC ect… are needed before the numbers)
- Expiration of the tag/registration
- All owners must sign the Application for Duplicate Title (MV213) and provide their driver license number(s).
- A copy of the owner's driver license or other identification showing the owner's signature must be supplied when the duplicate request is sent in by mail or
- If the request is brought in by an individual other than the owner, lienholder or dealer.
- Power of Attorney can be used to sign for the owner(s).
- An original Notarized Power of Attorney must accompany the MV213.
- The individual signing on behalf of the owner by Power of Attorney must hand print the owner's name(s) and sign their own name, for example John Doe by Jane Smith POA
- If the owner has signed this form and is authorizing you to process the request on their behalf you must sign your name and provide your driver license number on the space provided. A copy of your driver license/ID is required.
- If there is a lien:
- The lienholder must complete one of the sections at the bottom of the MV213. To either satisfy or acknowledge a duplicate title is being applied for.
- A separate lien release from the lien holder on their letterhead is acceptable if it has all the required information:
- Owners information
- Vehicle Information
- Lien Satisfaction
- Signature of Authorized Agent
- If the lien holder needs the title and does not complete the bottom of the MV213 to acknowledge the duplicate, a letter from the lien holder stating the need for the duplicate is acceptable. When a duplicate is produced and the lien is left on the title is mailed to the lien holder.
- A fee of must accompany the Application for Duplicate Title.
- A new lien cannot be placed on the title at the same time the duplicate title is issued. A duplicate title must be applied for first. After the duplicate is done then a lien is placed as a supplementary title after the issuance of the duplicate title.
- NOTE- Please send a self-addressed envelope for all duplicate title requests sent in via mail.
Obtain a copy of form MV213. Review a sample of a completed duplicate title application.