The following provides information you need to know to ensure your operation of a moped or triped is legal, safe and enjoyable.

  • Mopeds and tripeds are required to be titled and registered before they can be operated on Delaware highways. Refer to the General Titling Requirements for titling information.
  • The fee for registration is $5.00 for three years.
  • You cannot operate a moped or triped on any public road unless you have a valid driver’s license.
  • Mopeds and tripeds shall not be operated on interstate or limited-access highways, nor shall they be operated on the right-of-way of an operating railroad, nor shall they be operated on any path set aside for use of bicycles unless the motor has been turned off.
  • Mopeds and tripeds must have a light on the front and rear, a bell or other device capable of giving a signal audible for a distance of at least 100 feet.
  • It is recommended that every person operating or riding a moped or triped wear a safety helmet and bright reflective clothing.
  • Watch for traffic as far ahead as possible, be prepared for sudden stops, for traffic approaching left or right at intersections and for vehicles pulling out from parking areas.
  • Laws applying to bicycles also apply to a moped or triped when operated on any public road or path set aside for the use of bicycles. Refer to the Delaware Driver’s Manual.